[U-Boot] dtc/u-boot tool naming, "ftdump", "mkimage"

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Wed Jan 14 20:11:22 CET 2009

Hi Matt,

Matt Sealey wrote:
> Josh Boyer wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:57:42AM -0600, Matt Sealey wrote:
>>> I just noticed (was told by an affiliate) that the DTC compiler tools
>>> shares a tool name "ftdump" with the Freetype project. I was doing a
>>> lazy packaging effort to get a few tools around so we can all be running
>>> the same version and build some custom kernel RPMs, and this came up.
>>>
>>> Wouldn't a better name be "fdtdump", do you think? It's usually not a
>>> fun idea to conflict with tools already on the system. A user may run
>>> "ftdump" and get the Freetype tool because of a simple mistake in paths
>>> or so.
>>>
>>> With regards to U-Boot proper, I would say the same is true of "mkimage"
>>> which conflicts with jigdo. In essence, while U-Boot is usually
>>> installed into a user's home directory (~/bin etc.) simple path mixups,
>>> going to root shell, using another box etc. means you may have multiple
>>> same-named tools on a system for various work, which do different things.

Mkimage and ftdump are different audiences (OK, the same people but the
chairs are arranged differently ;-).

[snip]

IMHO, the ftdump issue needs to be addressed at the DTC level (Jon
Loeliger and David Gibson).  U-Boot (and the linux kernel) is being
driven by DTC.

I won't address mkimage since I don't have a dog in that fight.

[snip]

> -- Matt

Best regards,
gvb