[U-Boot] configuring the board as a pci target in u-boot

arun c arun.edarath at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 12:37:57 CET 2009

Hi all,

I want to configure my board as a PCI target, its based on mcf548x processor.
What are the things to be taken care to configure a board as a PCI
agent in u-boot?

My processor can act as a PCI master as well as a target. I don't want
master interface
at all. I want to make my board as a PCI slave and let it respond to
other masters by
simply sitting on a PCI bus.

I have gone through the u-boot sources and I found that
board/freescale/mpc8360emds/pci.c does something similar if
CONFIG_PCISLAVE is defined. Its is setting up inbound windows and
using pci_setup_indirect(), pci_hose_read_config_word(),
pci_hose_write_config_word() functions to make the board a pci slave.

I don't really understand the use of these functions,
if i am able to read and write PCI config registers(256 bytes) through
my internal
bus why these are required?

As per my understanding I just have to configure the PCI inbound
windows and leave the rest to PCI master of the entire system.
am I thinking wrong?

Regards,
Arun C