[U-Boot] [MPC8272ADS/BDI2000]Can not program my u-boot into Flash

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Mon Jan 19 20:55:02 CET 2009

Jean-Michel Hautbois wrote:
> 2009/1/19 Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren at ge.com>:
>> Jean-Michel Hautbois wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> The error in programming tells that it couldn't write the second byte
>>> of the u-boot file. Indeed, I have displayed the memory before and
>>> after the prog command, and the first byte is correctly written.
>>> I can't understand where my problem is.
>>>
>>> Thx and Regards,
>>> JM
>> Hi JM,
>
> Hi Jerry, thx for answering
>
>> After you erase the sector/chip, is it all 0xFF (especially the second
>> location)?  (I expect it is, but it is good to start with the fundamentals.)
>
> No, it is not. I would say, the first byte is OK (I don't have the
> board with me right now).

OK, if the chip isn't erased properly, you aren't going to make any
headway programming.  You have to solve the erase problem first.

Is the block you are trying to erase locked?

>> If so, I would speculate your flash chip configuration isn't right.  You
>> need to know how your hardware is wired:
>> * How many chips in parallel on the bus?
>> * Bus width on each chip?
>> * Bus width into the processor?
>
> The Flash chip is a SIMM with 4 LH28F016SCT chips.
> When I try to use a 32 bits wide bus, it does not work.

That implies the bus is 32 bits wide made up of 4 x8 chips in parallel.
  It is possible that it is wired 16 bits wide or 8 bits wide by 2 or 4
chips deep, but that is very unlikely.

Is this a stock Freescale eval board or is it custom h/w?

The config file you sent had:
[FLASH]
CHIPTYPE    I28BX8     	; Flash type
CHIPSIZE    0x200000	; Single chip size (2 Mbyte)
BUSWIDTH    8		; total width for the whole SIMM
;WORKSPACE   0x7e000000	;workspace in target RAM for fast download
FILE        u-boot.bin
FORMAT      BIN 0xFF900000

Searching for the chip type picks up:
<http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/Sharp/mXusvqq.pdf>
Searching for Abatron flash types picks up:
<http://www.abatron.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/products/pdf/flashsupp.pdf>

OK, looks like you have the right chiptype.

The buswidth most likely needs to be 32.  You said you tried this and it
didn't work.

Running low on suggestions, but here goes...
* Fix the buswidth in the config file and then cycle power on everything
to make sure you have a clean new configuration (paranoia sometimes pays
off)
* Verify the SIMM is x32.

gvb