[U-Boot] [MPC8272ADS/BDI2000]Can not program my u-boot into Flash

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Mon Jan 19 21:26:59 CET 2009

Jean-Michel Hautbois wrote:
>>> No, it is not. I would say, the first byte is OK (I don't have the
>>> board with me right now).
>> OK, if the chip isn't erased properly, you aren't going to make any headway
>> programming.  You have to solve the erase problem first.
>>
>> Is the block you are trying to erase locked?
>>
> No
>
>>> The Flash chip is a SIMM with 4 LH28F016SCT chips.
>>> When I try to use a 32 bits wide bus, it does not work.
>> That implies the bus is 32 bits wide made up of 4 x8 chips in parallel.  It
>> is possible that it is wired 16 bits wide or 8 bits wide by 2 or 4 chips
>> deep, but that is very unlikely.
>>
>> Is this a stock Freescale eval board or is it custom h/w?
>>
> This is a freescale board.

OK, Freescale engineers on/off the list should be able to help.  This
really shouldn't be hard.

>> The config file you sent had:
>> [FLASH]
>> CHIPTYPE    I28BX8      ; Flash type
>> CHIPSIZE    0x200000    ; Single chip size (2 Mbyte)
>> BUSWIDTH    8           ; total width for the whole SIMM
>> ;WORKSPACE   0x7e000000 ;workspace in target RAM for fast download
>> FILE        u-boot.bin
>> FORMAT      BIN 0xFF900000
>>
>> Searching for the chip type picks up:
>> <http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/Sharp/mXusvqq.pdf>
>> Searching for Abatron flash types picks up:
>> <http://www.abatron.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/products/pdf/flashsupp.pdf>
>>
>> OK, looks like you have the right chiptype.
>>
>> The buswidth most likely needs to be 32.  You said you tried this and it
>> didn't work.
> No, it didn't. It just said that erasing was not working. I will tell
> you more tomorrow.
>
>> Running low on suggestions, but here goes...
>> * Fix the buswidth in the config file and then cycle power on everything to
>> make sure you have a clean new configuration (paranoia sometimes pays off)
> What do you mean by "cycle power on everything" ?

The Abatron picks up its configuration file via TFTP (IIRC, otherwise
FTP) from the host.  You need to fix the file on the host so it has the
x32 configuration.  After fixing the file on the host, you need to
reset/cycle power on the Abatron so it re-reads the config file,
otherwise it will be using the old (wrong) config file.

Sometimes I forget <rolls eyes>.  Major confusion ensues, followed by a
facepalm moment. <http://www.facepalm.org/>

>> * Verify the SIMM is x32.
> Huh ? How ?

It's x32 unless I'm really confused.