[U-Boot] Fw: TFTP fails when using network switch

Loren A. Linden Levy Alex.Lindenlevy at Colorado.EDU
Wed Jan 21 01:14:43 CET 2009

Hi Jerry,

Your gonna love this. I was setting the hardware MAC address to be
FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. When i changed this everything magically started
working. I guess this MAC has some meaning like the device is a
router. Anyway, i learned a lot while trying to figure this
out. Thanks again!

Alex

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:13:52 -0500
Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren at ge.com> wrote:

> Loren A. Linden Levy wrote:
> > Hi Jerry,
> >
> > It looks to me like for the M%282 board the PHY address is determined
> > by querying the MII interface:
> >
> > include/configs/M5282EVB.h
> >
> > #define CONFIG_MCFFEC
> > #ifdef CONFIG_MCFFEC
> > #       define CONFIG_NET_MULTI         1
> > #       define CONFIG_MII               1
> > #       define CFG_DISCOVER_PHY
> >
> > This cause the code in ./drivers/net/mcffec.c specifically
> > mii_discover_phy to be run, I tried to enable the debugging in this
> > code:
> >
> > //#undef        ET_DEBUG
> > //#undef        MII_DEBUG
>
> I am not familiar with the code, but I would change them to #defines
> rather than commenting out the #undefs, and look to see where they are
> used to see what to expect to be printed out.
>
> > but it does not seem to print anything (:(). One interesting feature is
> > that once my uClinux image has booted I can talk to it over the
> > switched network just fin. So the issue is really something in the
> > setup of the MII PHY interface in u-boot. Is there any build target to
> > allow me to try and debug this?
>
> I still strongly suspect your hardware initialization isn't right
> (again, I'm not familiar with the MPC5282 processor nor your board) or
> your PHY is miswired (I'm assuming this is a custom board, not the eval
> board).
>
> You need to verify your hardware is toggling the MII pins on the PHY.
> If it isn't, you need to verify your hardware is toggling the MII pins
> on the processor.  If not, it's likely your software
> initialization/driver.  If so, you have a hardware problem.
>
> If the MII pins are not toggling, you are not going to get anywhere.
> Until you verify it (hands on, with some sort of hardware probe), you
> are shooting in the dark.  While you can hit the target in the dark with
> enough rounds, the efficiency sucks.
>
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Alex
>
> Good luck,
> gvb

Loren A. Linden Levy
Department of Physics
390 UCB
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO   80309-0390
Tel:   303-735-6146 (CU) / +049 040 8998 4789 (DESY)
Fax:   303-492-3352 (CU) / +049 040 8998 4034 (DESY)
Cell:  303-332-2768 (U.S.) / +049 (0)151 5496 1831 (Germany)
Email: Loren.Lindenlevy at colorado.edu
url:   http://up.colorado.edu/~lindenle
This email has been cryptographically signed.
Search for "lindenle" at pgp.mit.edu
to obtain my public key which can be used
to verify the authenticity of this message.