[U-Boot] u-boot-v2

John Jeffers jjeffers at lufkin.com
Wed Jan 21 01:18:37 CET 2009

Hi

If I use for u-boot-v2

#ln -s arm cross_arch

#ln -s
/opt/arm-v5te-linux-gnueabi/gcc-4.1.2-glibc-2.5-binutils-2.17-kernel-2.6.18/arm-v5te-linux-gnueabi/bin
\ cross_compile

During make menuconfig the arm is not picked up as the architecture.  I
appear to get sandbox.

Obviously I am not telling the menuconfig to use my architecture.
Perhap the /board is more appropriate.'

Regards John

For u-boot-v2 we are instructed:

U-Boot uses the Linux kernel's build system. It consists of two parts:
the makefile infrastructure (kbuild), plus a configuration system
(kconfig). So building U-Boot is very similar to building the Linux kernel.
 For the examples below, we use the User Mode U-Boot implementation,
which is a port of U-Boot to the Linux userspace. This makes it possible
to test drive the code without having real hardware. So for this test
scenario, ARCH=sandbox is the valid architecture selection. This
currently only works on ia32 hosts and partly on x86-64.
 Selection of the architecture and the cross compiler can be done in two
ways. You can either specify it using the environment variables ARCH and
CROSS_COMPILE, or you can create the soft links cross_arch and
cross_compile pointing to your architecture and compiler. For
ARCH=sandbox we do not need a cross compiler so it is sufficient to
specify the architecture:
 # ln -s sandbox cross_arch

 In order to configure the various aspects of U-Boot, start the U-Boot
configuration system:
 # make menuconfig