[U-Boot] Common u-boot image for e300 and e500v2

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jan 23 16:22:47 CET 2009

Dear Johns Daniel,

In message <ba5d9360901230710s69788c82hceed75a37984d2cb at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> Is it possible -- and prudent -- to use a single u-boot binary image
> for two similar boards, one based on an e300 core and the other on an
> e500v2 core?

No, this is not possible (at least not with reasonable efofort and
resonable code).

> My guess is that it is not possible, but I was surprised to see that
> the e500v2-targeted toolchain did build the kernel for the e300 board
> just fine.

That's not surprise. When testing, I build U-Boot for  *all*  PowerPC
systems with the same toolchain, usually using a ppc_8xx- or ppc_4xx-
configuration. All these images buil without problems, and more, they
even  run fine on the target systems. U-Boot usually does not include
any code which depends on such specific CPU features.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"One thing they don't tell you about doing  experimental  physics  is
that sometimes you must work under adverse conditions... like a state
of sheer terror."                                    - W. K. Hartmann