[U-Boot] Watchdog timer and booting in Linux kernel

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 27 18:01:35 CET 2009

Dear Sachin Rane,

In message <73FA539107892C4C8C7A5ACA10C161C85BE107 at MX2.AlphionCorp.local> you wrote:

> I am using u-boot and linux kernel on our custom PPC440gx board.
> The board was booting without any issue.
>
> The board started rebooting while booting in linux kernel after enabled
> the watchdog timer in u-boot by defining 'CONFIG_WATCHDOG'.

That is to be expected unless you have working watchdog support in
your Linux kernel, too.

> I have observed that the board gets reset while booting in Linux.

Yes, the watchdog is supposed to do exactly that. So everything is
indeed working as expected.

> I followed the discussion available on:
> http://osdir.com/ml/boot-loaders.u-boot/2001-07/msg00121.html

Ouch. That is a *bit* old, it deems.

> I modified the code given in above link to run it on ppc440gx processor.

Why don't you use the existing code for example for 440EPx from our
kernel tree?

> I have written a function 'reset_watchdog()' in kernel which will reset
> the Watchdog Timer (same as available in u-boot) and called in
> 'timer_interrupt()' of /arch/ppc/kernel/time.c' But the function is not
> giving any effect. The board is still getting rebooted.

arch/ppc/ ? arch/ppc/ is dead. It has been removed from the Linux
kernel tree a long time ago.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
For every problem there is one solution which is  simple,  neat,  and
wrong.                                                - H. L. Mencken