No subject

Fri Jan 23 11:48:37 CET 2009

needs to visit an external website to even _compile_ the code.  Let
alone copying stuff to and from, hex dumping it etc.  This is not
acceptable.

>> > +   make P4080DS_PBL_BOOT_INDIRECT_config
>> > +   make CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-none-linux-gnuspe- all
>> > +   xxd u-boot.bin > u-boot.xxd
>>
>> > +3. Producing PBI commands
>> > +Switch to tab "PBI" and paste commands below into text field
> (please note these
>> > +commands are for CPC1 used as SRAM only, change corresponding
> register setting
>> > +if CPC2 need to be used as SRAM), then choose "ACS File (XXD Object
> Dump)",
>> > +change Offset to "f80000", and click "Browse" to select the
> u-boot.xxd file
>> > +produced in step 2, and click "Add PBI Data", after it finished,
> paste
>> > +"09138000 00000000" and "091380c0 00000000" at the end.
>>
>> This must be a bad joke.
>>
>> Can you not provide a plain and simple AUTOMATIC way to get this
>> result? some plain stupid command line tool? Something that works as
>> a simple "make XXX" ?  So it can be scripted / automatized / used?
>
> Yes, a simple C tool to take an existing PBL or RCW dump and "espi-ize"
> it into a PBL dump would be nice.  The user will still need to acquire
> the existing RCW manually.  This only needs to be done once on a board;
> it's not part of building a U-Boot image.

@Scott: What is meant by "acquiring the existing RCW"?  Can't we have a
tool that is fed with a value for RCW?

> [Xie Shaohui] A simple C tool will make things more complex, the
> pbl_image_tool does the same thing and it is irreplaceable, something

No tool is irreplaceable, ever.

> like RCW has to be produced manually, and because there is no
> near-universal default RCW, this README took a basic assumption that
> user already can boot from NOR flash, so user can reuse the RCW dump of
> NOR u-boot with change "PBI_SRC" and "BOOT_LOC" only.
>
> This README describes how to build an Image can be used by PBL (pre-boot
> loader), building u-boot image is the first step, then RCW, PBI
> commands, XXD dump of u-boot.bin, the tool will combine the RCW and PBI
> and XXD dump together to produce the PBL XXD file, suppose the PBL XXD
> file is saved as x.xxd, we need to run "xxd -r x.xxd > pbl_image.bin" to
> produce the final PBL Image. Take a look at the whole process, I see no
> way it can be scripted / automatized.

I said it once before, look at how kwbimage wraps up u-boot.bin into
such an "augmented" image.  If the Marvell guys can do this for their
platform, I see no reason why this cannot be done for your platform.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
coding notes: the en/decryption routines each use 6 necessary register
variables,  with  4  being  actively  used at  once  during  the inner