[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Thomas Dörfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Wed Jul 1 07:58:06 CEST 2009

Richard,

Richard Stallman wrote:

> While I probably would not want to change my glucometer, the practice
> of designing hardware so that people cannot change it is becoming more
> and more of a threat to our freedom in general.

Can you be a bit more specific on this? Which devices are you aware of,
that use GPLv2 code and avoid an update? Except the once we were
discussing here where it is questionable wheter the user actual should
refrain from doing so, like medical devices and safety critical devices?

We heard about Tivo, but what other devices are there? Or are we talking
about a possibility which has already outworn itself (like DRM media,
which seem to be getting more and more unpolular)?

wkr,
Thomas.

Embedded Brains GmbH
Thomas Doerfler        Obere Lagerstrasse 30
D-82178 Puchheim       Germany
email: Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Phone: +49-89-18908079-2
Fax:   +49-89-18908079-9