[U-Boot] [RFC/PATCH 0/3] Add optional dma transfers to mtest

Ira Snyder iws at ovro.caltech.edu
Wed Jul 1 18:12:29 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 10:59:47AM -0500, Peter Tyser wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 12:21 -0500, Peter Tyser wrote:
> > This series tries to add a DMA memory test to the mtest tests.  The
> > DMA test performs bursts to SDRAM which can be useful in stressing memory
> > and can be difficult to produce reliably in certain circumstances (eg
> > running with data caches disabled).
> >
> > It can be enabled on 85xx and 86xx boards by defining CONFIG_FSL_DMA,
> > CONFIG_SYS_ALT_MEMTEST, and CONFIG_SYS_DMA_MEMTEST.
> >
> > Other platforms will need to support the dmacpy() function in order to
> > enable the DMA memory test.
>
> Is there any interest in this feature, or any chance it will be merged?
> If so, I'll clean it up a bit and resubmit.

I thought it was useful, primarily in testing your Freescale DMA
patches.

I'm not sure how much this test stresses the memory chips (as compared
to Linux). If it is reasonably close, then I think it is a very useful
piece of code to have. Linux is a lot more code to wade through compared
to U-Boot when things aren't working.

Ira