[U-Boot] net: gpio PHY driver

Richard Retanubun RichardRetanubun at RuggedCom.com
Wed Jul 1 20:43:05 CEST 2009

Darius Augulis wrote:
[snip]
> No, my system is not MPC based. I'm working on new board and CPU
> (Gemini) support in u-boot. My SoC has two GMAC controllers.
> btw, what is the right way to add new Ethernet driver?
> Should I define CONFIG_CMD_NET and CONFIG_NET_MULTI in my board config?
 > Or should I define eth_* funtions right in the driver code?

I'm not an expert on the network code, but here's what I know

*I think* CONFIG_CMD_NET just turns on network commands, CONFIG_NET_MULTI says you have more than one MAC?
I recall some conversations about it being discussed recently in the mailing list, try grep-ing it for that
and check the README.

(If you haven't already)
look at u-boot/include/net.h, I think this is the functions that and ethernet driver needs to have defined.
look at u-boot/drivers/net/Makefile to see how to make u-boot build your driver by defining a new
#define CONFIG_MY_DRIVER_NAME and adding and entry there.

my exposure to the code have been mostly for powerpc and coldfire, for coldfire their ethernet driver
code is drivers/net/mcffec.c and /drivers/net/mcfmii.c, obviously this would not be what you need
but it is an example.

As always, check with the git tree on kernel.org, someone might have already done it for linux, in which case
you can try porting it into u-boot.

cheers,

- Richard