[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Larry Johnson lrj at acm.org
Thu Jul 2 18:11:03 CEST 2009

Robin Getz wrote:
> On Thu 2 Jul 2009 09:56, Richard Stallman pondered:
>>     > Access to a network may be denied when the modification itself
>>     > materially and adversely affects the operation of the network
>>     > or violates the rules and protocols for communication across
>>     > the network.
>>
>>     The way I read that is that it is the unit you are on will have it's
>>     radio off,
>>
>> I think you have misinterpreted those words.  Denying a user or a
>> machine access to a network means cutting off communication in the
>> network, not altering the machine.
>
> If the cell phone operator's "rule" says that operating of a modified device
> should not effect non-modified devices in close proximity (jamming - which I
> think meets the "materially and adversely affects the operation of the
> network" statement) - in a TDMA network (like GSM is) - the only way to
> enforce that rule - is on the client side - not on the network side. There is
> nothing on the network side you can do to stop that that I'm aware of.
>
> I'm aware that most devices today separate the datapump and the application
> processor, but this doesn't seem to be the trend - the trend is run both on
> the same CPU (as it decreases the cost).
>
>> This clause is not an exception to the requirement for installation
>> information.  Cell phones must offer installation information just like
>> other User Products.
>
> Right - but the cell phone provider should have the ability to alter the state
> of the device (not allow the radio to be turned on), so it can't "adversely
> affects the operation of the network" - shouldn't they?
>
> Or is this where one person's freedom (the ability to modify their phone, and
> turn it into a jamming device), is more important than the freedom of
> everyone else to actually use their phones on the same network. (Which
> actually - wouldn't be a completely bad idea - when I have been standing near
> someone talking too loud into their phone in a public place, I often wish for
> a jam the network app on my phone :)

In the United States, most radio transmitters must be type accepted
(certified) by the Federal Communications Commission.  Modification
voids the type acceptance, so operating a modified mobile phone on its
original frequencies would be illegal regardless of what the phone
company's rules say.  However, no certification is necessary for
transmitters operated according to the rules for the Amateur Radio
Service.  Thus, an licensed amateur could legally use a modified mobile
phone, provided it transmitted on frequencies allocated for amateur
radio and met the other requirements for amateur operation, including
not causing harmful interference to other services.

This has been the situation in the US for many years, and I believe
almost all countries are at least as restrictive.

Best regards,
Larry