[U-Boot] warnings from gcc-4.4 build

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Jul 6 17:10:20 CEST 2009

On Jul 4, 2009, at 6:33 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Kumar Gala,
>
> In message
> <9B5E5AE1-2907-49C2-870F-2D7B2F2DE598 at kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:
>> When building the MPC8572DS_config w/gcc-4.4 I get:
>>
>> sys_eeprom.c: In function ‘do_mac’:
>> sys_eeprom.c:323: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will  >
>> break strict-aliasing rules
>> Should would be turning on -fno-strict-aliasing.  The linux kernel
>> has  >
>> been doing this for some time.
>
> Should we not rather fix the code that causes these warnings? Usually
> the required changes are just minimal (which does not mean that it is
> a trivial task).

For some cases its trivial, for others I'm not sure if its worth it
(like ahci.c):

static int ata_scsiop_read_capacity10(ccb *pccb)
{
         u8 buf[8];

         memset(buf, 0, 8);

         *(u32 *) buf = le32_to_cpu(ataid[pccb->target]->lba_capacity);

         buf[6] = 512 >> 8;
         buf[7] = 512 & 0xff;

         memcpy(pccb->pdata, buf, 8);

         return 0;
}

how do we fix this (the *u32 *)buf ... line is the one causing
warnings ?

For dlmalloc I think we might want to look at updating to a newer
version of the code.

- k