[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3?

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Tue Jul 7 15:24:36 CEST 2009

On Mon 6 Jul 2009 06:55, Wolfgang Denk pondered:

>     I am definitely _pro_ going for GPLv3. I am  also  realizing  the
>     efforts and the time this will take.

I'm also glad that you acknowledge that you will loose developers, and
users...

> So it seems we can set up something like a plan:
>
> Short term goal:
>
>         Clean up the existing license conflicts in U-Boot. This is  a
>         task that is completely independent of the GPLv2 versus GPLv3
>         discussion - it must be done in any case.
>
> Medium term goal:
>
>         Analyze which parts of U-Boot are implemented  by  GPLv2-only
>         code, and evaluate options to convert these into GPLv2+later.
>
> Long term goal:
>
> 	Move U-Boot to GPLv3.

And -- since some of us will require to fork at this time (it is not a threat,
it is not "I don't like GPLv3", it is just me trying to plainly state the
facts) - can we _plan_ for this, as part of the Long term goal?

Where someone else takes over the code base - pre switching to GPLv3 (or
pre-dropping features when switching to GPLv2+later).

That way - contributors who still wish to place their contributions under a
GPLv2 license, can do so? Contributors who wish to provide features under
GPLv3 only can do so as well...