[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 7 16:43:15 CEST 2009

Dear Haavard,

In message <20090707155005.2e4a4d6d at hskinnemoen-d830> you wrote:

> > The point is that GPLv2 results in situations where  you  cannot  use
> > and modify your own software any more because it is "protected" and
> > any versions you build don't run.
>
> But this is a problem with the _hardware_, not the software. I think
> placing restrictions on the hardware design is way outside the scope of
> a software license.

I'm only talking about software (code and data)  here.  If  I  cannot
change  (or  just  rebuild)  the (Free!) software any more because to
actually run it I need some secret data (like a signature) then  this
is  still  a software problem. One that can be prevented by releasing
the software under adequate licensing terms.

> In my experience, the most popular AVR-based boards are the ones that
> not only allow the firmware to be replaced freely, but which actively
> encourage modification by making lots of signals available through
> expansion headers. This kind of "hackability" can never be enforced
> through any kind of software license.

Agreed.  Hardware  should  be  hackable,  too  :-)  (which   includes
documentation  where  you  don't have to sell your soul and sign NDAs
that are plain evil).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
######## This message was made from 100% recycled electrons. ########