[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 7 18:26:56 CEST 2009

Dear Jon Smirl,

In message <9e4733910907070828o7517b17td411ff88c62a8902 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I agree -- all ATMs, voting machines, slot machines, electricity
> meters, traffic lights, navigation systems, safety interlocks, etc
> should be hackable. I'm sure that no idiot teenager is going to change
> the firmware and allow an unsuspecting person to use the device.

Aren't they? Just break the seal and use  a  screw  driver  and  some
other tools. And when it comes to some voting machines you don't even
need this.

You don't understand at all  what  we  are  talking  about,  or  what
security  means  and  how  gets  implemented,  or  what certification
procedures are about. There is  no  difference  between  conventional
(even softwre-free electro-mechanical devices) and software. There is
just a lot of clueless people.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The problem ... is typical to internet  discussions  where  the  less
complex  the  problem is, the more idiots come in and think they have
something to contribute :-)
             Ben Herrenschmidt in <1243495925.3171.134.camel at pasglop>