[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3?

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Jul 7 18:50:34 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 06:05:35AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> In my experience, people who want a more permissive license
> typically claim that their participation is absolutely necessary,
> and doing without it would be a disaster.  It tends to be somewhat
> of an exaggeration.

Talk about exaggerations...

I didn't see anyone say that the "no gpl3" crowd was "absolutely
necessary" or that there "would be a disaster" -- just that it's
something to factor in when considering whether the project would be
better off switching.

And it's not as if the anti-permissive crowd ever makes potentially
exaggerated claims about what participation would be lost with a
BSD-style license (both corporate contributions that would stay private,
and individual contributions from GPL fans that would fork (or not be
done in the first place) to prevent the former)...

-Scott