[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 7 23:24:35 CEST 2009

Dear Remy Bohmer,

In message <3efb10970907071307u662f7d87g5a4a0c0b0740b973 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> As far as I understand it, a move to gpl3 will need the approval of
> _all_ copyright holders to make such a switch. (not all names are
> listed in the headers)

Only for files where such a switch is not trivial by exercising the
"version 2 (or any later version)" clause. And this is just 184 files
so far (3.x % of all files).

> This move to gpl3 will throw up a huge barrier for importing future
> Linux code in U-boot, because Linux is still gpl2-only, and as such
> Linux code can no longer be used in U-boot...

Without actually trying it out nobody can say how big such a barrier
actually might be...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I don't see any direct evidence ...  but, then, my crystal ball is in
dire need of an ectoplasmic upgrade. :-)              -- Howard Smith