[U-Boot] Copyright/License text in cpu/ppc4xx/4xx_pci.c

Matthias Fuchs matthias.fuchs at esd.eu
Wed Jul 8 16:21:51 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 08 July 2009 15:57, Stefan Roese wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> On Wednesday 08 July 2009 15:40:08 Matthias Fuchs wrote:
> > I am just cleaning up cpu/ppc4xx/4xx_pci.c (mainly coding style stuff).
> > I am wondering about the file's header. I think even when this code comes
> > initially from IBM there is not much left from original IBM code.
>
> Yes, this could be the case.
>
> > So can we replace the header with the widely used GPL template?
>
> I'm not sure here. The paragraph clearly states:
>
>  *       Any person who transfers this source code or any derivative work
>  *       must include the IBM copyright notice, this paragraph, and the
>  *       preceding two paragraphs in the transferred software.
>
> So even if the current version has not much in common with the original
> version (IIRC cloned from IBM PIBS), we still have to carry it with us. At
> least this is how I interpret it.
But we could prepend the typical header which brings us to something like this:

/*
 * (C) Copyright 1998, Mark Game
 * (C) Copyright 1995, IBM Corporation
 *
 * See file CREDITS for list of people who contributed to this
 * project.
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
 * published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of
 * the License, or (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 *
 * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston,
 * MA 02111-1307 USA
 *
 *
 * This source code has been made available to you by IBM on an AS-IS
 * basis.  Anyone receiving this source is licensed under IBM
 * copyrights to use it in any way he or she deems fit, including
 * copying it, modifying it, compiling it, and redistributing it either
 * with or without modifications.  No license under IBM patents or
 * patent applications is to be implied by the copyright license.
 *
 * Any user of this software should understand that IBM cannot provide
 * technical support for this software and will not be responsible for
 * any consequences resulting from the use of this software.
 *
 * Any person who transfers this source code or any derivative work
 * must include the IBM copyright notice, this paragraph, and the
 * preceding two paragraphs in the transferred software.
 */

> > And what about the in-file history? I vote for removing it but of cource
> > keeping/adding copryright notices from Marc Game and Stefan.
>
> Yes, removing the in-file history should be done. We have other ways to track
> the file history.
Fine.

Matthias