[U-Boot] How to start U-Boot for i.MX31 NAND out of RedBoot (out of RAM)

Magnus Lilja lilja.magnus at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 17:42:08 CEST 2009

Hi

2009/7/8 Ulrich Gerster <gersteru at dhbw-loerrach.de>:
> Hello,
>
> I have a board with a i.MX31, NAND-Flash and RAM.
> On the Board a RedBoot is preinstalled and runs properly.
> I want to replace the RedBoot with my U-Boot port.
>
> How can I test U-Boot out of RedBoot when I load the u-boot image in the RAM?
> What do I have to configure in my u-boot if i want to test it from ram before burning it into the nand flash?

You should define CONFIG_SKIP_LOWLEVEL_INIT since redboot has already
setup the SDRAM. If you load U-boot to the address it's set up to
execute from you should also define CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT.

It's been a long while since I used redboot to start u-boot (on the
i.MX31 PDK) so I don't remember the correct redboot command but make
sure the MMU is off when jumping to U-Boot.

Regards, Magnus