[U-Boot] Can I and/or D Cache work without MMU enabling in ARM11 or ARM cortex

Drasko DRASKOVIC drasko.draskovic at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 16:06:51 CEST 2009

> Can u please tell me the reason, without D cache i dont see significant
> performance improvents.

ARM manual, search for a section like this:

CP15
C bit   M bit
0        0              DCache disabled. All data accesses are to the
external memory.

1        0              DCache enabled, MMU disabled. The C bit is
overriden by the M bit
                        setting, which means that the DCache is
effectively disabled. All
                        data accesses are noncachable, nonbufferable,
with no protection
                        checks. All addresses are flat mapped, that is
VA = MVA = PA.

1        1              DCache enabled, MMU enabled. All data accesses
are cachable or
                        noncachable depending on the page descriptor C
bit and B bit (see
                        Table 4-4), and protection checks are
performed. All addresses are
                        remapped from VA to PA, depending on the MMU
page table entry,
                        that is the VA is translated to an MVA, and
the MVA is remapped to
                        a PA.

And take look at this thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/u-boot@lists.denx.de/msg11249.html