[U-Boot] lib_arm global data pointer

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 13 17:35:59 CEST 2009

Dear Drasko DRASKOVIC,

In message <5ec3d7930907130700h24ab20c3t258e2c31e21bb71f at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> there is a reason why I use r10 (and why somebody used r8,  I suppose) - I

Well, that's easy - as the code has to interface with  GCC  generated
code, you have to stick with GCC's register usage conventions.

> And one thing I also noted that is strange a variable of "register
> volatile". I played around with arm gcc compiler - does this volatile stuff
> really have some effect? Compiler seems to produce asm code like it is not
> volatile (optimize by deleting conditions, assign values by add and not mov,
> etc...)

"register volatile" makes sense only for the special case  of  global
or  local  register  variables. Whether or not it is implemented in a
specific version of GCC for a specific architecture is another story;
please ask this on the GCC mailing list.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
One of the advantages of being a captain is being able to ask for ad-
vice without necessarily having to take it.
	-- Kirk, "Dagger of the Mind", stardate 2715.2