[U-Boot] Antw: Re: How to start U-Boot for i.MX31 NAND out of RedBoot (out of RAM)

Ulrich Gerster gersteru at dhbw-loerrach.de
Tue Jul 14 11:54:02 CEST 2009

Hello.

>>> Magnus Lilja <lilja.magnus at gmail.com> 09.07.09 19.08 Uhr >>>

>> I made the defines you mentioned above and build the image with make mx31guf_config (it's quite similar to the PDK
>> board). Then I loaded the resulting u-boot.bin to 0x81000000 and tried to "run 0x81000000". The "run" command is with
>> caches and MMU tured off.
>> I get absolutely no output on the console and I have to reset the board.
>> What could be the problem? How can I debug this?

> Did you define CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT? If so, that may be the
> problem (although I'm not 100% sure) if TEXT_BASE is not 0x81000000
> (in your board config.mk). For most i.MX31 boards TEXT_BASE is
> 0x87f00000.

That was the point.
Now I'm able to boot u-boot out of the RAM. It's working well but I have some issues.

I can ping my linux host and I'm able to download a binary file via TFTP into RAM.
But I'm not able to ping the boad with u-boot from my linux host. In my config-file I
defined CONFIG_NETMASK and CONFIG_IPADDR. What could be wrong?

Another strange thing is the nand driver. I build my u-boot with:
#define CONFIG_MX31_NAND   1
#define CONFIG_CMD_NAND
#define CONFIG_SYS_NO_FLASH   1
#define CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_NAND   1
#define CONFIG_SYS_NAND_BASE   CS0_BASE
#define CONFIG_SYS_MAX_NAND_DEVICE 	1
#define CONFIG_SYS_NAND_MAX_CHIPS	1

If I then try to get "flinfo" information u-boot jumps to the next command line and prints nothing.
If I try "nand info" I get information about nand device 0.
Another strange thing is that I can't read from nand flash but I can write.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Ulrich Gerster