[U-Boot] bug when using environment in an i2c eeprom and SPI is enabled?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 16 13:51:24 CEST 2009

Dear Heiko Schocher,

In message <4A5ED846.90305 at denx.de> you wrote:

> I actually try to use Environment on an I2C EEprom with SPI enabled,
> and found in include/common.h the following defines @line 326ff:

I'm not surprised...

> So, it seems to me, that, if SPI is enabled, it is not possible
> to use an I2C EEprom with an address != 0, because in
> common/env_eeprom.c @line79 in env_init():

Actually you are most probably not supposed to use any I2C EEPROM at
all.

> I tried to use "git blame" to find out where this comes from,
> but this is in code since the "initial revision" ... so I ask
> here on the mailinglist, if somebody knows, if this is a
> feature or a bug?

I think this is a deficiency of  the  original  implementation  which
assumed  that  if  there was an EEPROM, it was either attached to the
I2C or to the SPI bus, and that SPI would never be used in U-Boot for
anything else than reading an EEPROM.

Please consider it a bug...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
An armed society is a polite society.