[U-Boot] Initial environment variables

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 23:08:55 CEST 2009

Ron Madrid wrote:
> --- On Thu, 7/16/09, Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> wrote:
>

>> the board maintainer decides the default env values, not
>> board users.  Ben's
>> comment was probably on the assumption that you are in the
>> latter category.
>>

> Ah, that could be why.  Thankfully I am the maintainer for the board.  So I
> am going to assume then that it would be OK for me to add these variable
> settings to my board's include/configs file and submit a patch for it,
> unless I here other objections.
>
> Ron

No, there should be no default net parameters, because you're making
likely-bogus assumptions about the network that your board's going to go
into.  Just because your LAN uses '192.168.0.x' doesn't mean anybody
else's does.  It's even worse for MAC addresses - what if I buy two of
your boards and plug them into the same switch?  If the addresses are
identical all sorts of bad things can happen.  Not to mention that
public MAC addresses are assigned (and paid for) and should be
guaranteed to be unique.  And private (bit 41 set) addresses are used in
many different ways.  One systems company that I worked at would program
these dynamically based on which shelf/slot the board was plugged into.
It's best to fail loudly (a printf stating that MAC addresses haven't
been programmed) than to silently cause network issues.  I could go on
and on, but hopefully you get the point.

regards,
Ben