[U-Boot] Initial environment variables

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jul 17 00:21:57 CEST 2009

Dear Mike Frysinger,

In message <200907161656.44300.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> > I'm do not understand why and I see in several include/configs/*.h files
> > that these environment variable are being set as default.  I'm guessing
> > that there's something that I'm missing.
>
> the board maintainer decides the default env values, not board users.  Ben's
> comment was probably on the assumption that you are in the latter category.

That's only the first stage.

After that, the custodian decides what is acceptable for mainline, and
after that the project mainainer - ummm, that's me.

And we do not accept any "default network configurations" in mainline.

I'm really fed up by zillions of devices all coming up with the very
same MAC address just because the board vendor (1) has no clue and (2)
is too stingy to buy a block of MAC addresses.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I know engineers. They love to change things.             - Dr. McCoy