[U-Boot] Initial environment variables

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jul 17 00:23:58 CEST 2009

Dear Ron Madrid,

In message <401734.38482.qm at web83507.mail.sp1.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> > the board maintainer decides the default env values, not
> > board users.  Ben's
> > comment was probably on the assumption that you are in the
> > latter category.
>
> Ah, that could be why.  Thankfully I am the maintainer for the board.  So I
> am going to assume then that it would be OK for me to add these variable
> settings to my board's include/configs file and submit a patch for it,
> unless I here other objections.

We do not accept any "default network configurations"  in  the  board
configuration.  It  makes  no  sense when all boards come up with the
very same network setting - it only causes problems and frustration.

[Don't tell me about "useful" use cases - all thse can be done in
different ways, easier.]

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It's all Klatchian to me.
        - Terry Pratchett & Stephen Briggs, _The Discworld Companion_