[U-Boot] http client?

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Wed Jul 22 14:26:58 CEST 2009

On Tue 21 Jul 2009 17:09, Wolfgang Denk pondered:
> Dear Robin Getz,
>
> In message <200907211400.21275.rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org> you wrote:
> >
> > > I know there have been discussions about adding wget to U-Boot,
> > > which I agree is not something that is worthwhile to do.
>
> I am not so sure about that, but that's just my opinion.
>
> > > http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2006-March/013697.html
> > > but a simple client would be helpful in many situations.
>
> There is such in IBM's port  of  U-Boot  for  the  Blue  Gene  super-
> computer, and Volkmar Uhlig promised to submit patches. But so far he
> didn't.

Hmm.. That sounds interesting. Do you know if there is a public repository? or
Do I need to buy a Blue Gene to get access to the source :)

According to:
http://domino.research.ibm.com/comm/research_projects.nsf/pages/kittyhawk.index.html/$FILE/Kittyhawk%20OSR%2008.pdf

>    We added a simple HTTP server to U-Boot so that individual nodes can be
> booted via a PUT command that pushes the desired boot images and kernel
> command line. The command line is evaluated via the scripting environment
> before it gets passed on to the OS kernel thereby allowing per node
> customizations. With this simple extension to U-Boot we are able to
> construct powerful scripted environments and bootstrap large numbers of
> nodes in a controlled, flexible, and secure way.

What is in RedBoot is a "HTTP GET".

So -- while it shouldn't be hard to extend from there...

> > > If a port of the redboot functionality is done - any thoughts on if
> it would
> > > be accepted?
>
> Well, you are aware that such a thing would need a TCP/IP stack, which
> is far beyond what we currently have in U-Boot support?

Yes - I'm aware. My thoughts were to do something like what IBM and other
suggestions were - use lwip.

-Robin