[U-Boot] FW: ARM Pull Request

Prafulla Wadaskar prafulla at marvell.com
Thu Jul 23 08:44:57 CEST 2009

Dear Stefan
Yes, I have checked.

> Quote:
> >Isn't it just because on the RD6281A, the first ethernet MAC of the
> >CPU is connected to an ethernet switch chip instead of an
> ethernet PHY,
> >and therefore there is no negotiation to be done?
But auto negotiation works with other board for similar case (i.e. mv88f6281gtw_ge)
Only the difference is on rd6281A multichip addressing mode is used.
I cannot comment much on this at this moment, this is my observation.
So I was planning to debug this part.

  (The second MAC
> >is connected to a PHY directly, so that one should just use autoneg.)
Yes, this is functional on egiga1

> >Even on the RD6281Z, we should just force the ethernet MAC to a
> >fixed speed/duplex, since even though PHY polling might work there,
> >we'll be talking to the PHY corresponding to the first switch port,
> >which means that you might not be able to tftp from the second switch
> >port or so if there's nothing plugged into the first one.
> >
> >FWIW, the linux kernel port also forces 1000/full on the CPU
> MACs where
> >a switch chip is connected.  On those CPU MACs where there
> is a switch
> >chip connected, the (R)(G)MII interface becomes purely a bus to
> >transport packets into and out of the crossbar, one that is
> always up.
>
> So, is this ethernet port in question connected to switch?
> Then a forced link
> (highest speed) should be used.
This is what I was trying to do,
but it was through CONGIF_ options and that is applied to both ports,
in case we need to force link speed then I need to provide some configurable interface
for u-boot kirkwood egiga driver.

Regards..
Prafulla . .