[U-Boot] ARM Pull Request

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 27 22:14:30 CEST 2009

Dear Jean-Christophe,

In message <20090727195648.GB5259 at game.jcrosoft.org> you wrote:

> > If you have a specific example, where you see existing or even likely
> > name conflicts, then please show it.  Otherwise  I  suggest  we  just
> > leave the code as is.
> yes I have as we prepapre a gpio generic api for our need, which we will push
> Mainline we must not make omap3 so generic
> we face the same problem with last stdio cleanup

Well, the simple rule is The early bird catches the worm.

You are referring to some code that nobody of us has ever seen yet,
and which therefor is of absolutely no relevance here. We don't even
know when it might be posted - next release? next year? - or if it
has any chances of being accepted for mainline.

On the other hand, we have a patch that has been posted while the
merge window was open, and that does not violate any of the rules we
normally apply when reviewing patches.

The argument that it might cause naming conflicts with a potential
patch that might be posted at some indeterminate future point of time
is definitely not a reason for rejecting the patch.

Please clearly separate your roles as a developer and a custodian: the
custodian Jean-Christophe is supposed to work based on real, existing
patches. The custodian Jean-Christophe knows about the work of the
developer Jean-Christophe only as much as anybody else - what has been
posted on the mailing list.

I understand your situation - it's a pain if you have to rework a
patch and if it's amount is growing, but that's the same fate any
other developer is facing who doesn't get his stuff ready for the
next merge window.

If this is your only concern about this patch I ask you to accept it.
The poster is not supposed to suffer from this situation.  Thanks.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A meeting is an event at which the minutes are kept and the hours are
lost.