[U-Boot] [RFC 0/3] uboot-doc User's Manual Generation Tool

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 28 19:49:23 CEST 2009

Dear John Schmoller,

In message <cover.1248798202.git.jschmoller at xes-inc.com> you wrote:

> I've been working on writing a User's Manual generation tool, and before
> I get too far I'd like to see if this is something the U-Boot community
> would be interested in.

Anything wrong with the User's Manual generation tool we already have
in use (DUTS) for example to generate the DULG?

> General Control Flow:
> C pre-processor -> doc_stream.pl : pre-processed code gets everything but
> comments with an @ stripped away
> doc_stream.pl -> autoconf_doc.txt : "interesting" comments get sent to this
> file
> autoconf_doc.txt -> uboot-doc : file is parsed and comments are turned to XML
>  *.tmpl -> uboot-doc : template files are processed into XML
>  *.xml -> xsltproc : XML is converted into desired output format
>  *.fo -> fop : (PDFs only) fo files are translated to PDF

What you describe does not sound like a user's manual to me, but more
like some API documentation - whioch is a completely different  thing
(and something we really don't have yet).

Your approach may be suitable for standard  documents,  but  in  many
years  of  working  with U-Boot (and Linux) we found that it does not
work so well with the specific needs we have for a User's Manual. One
issue is that you have to support many different boards (well,  maybe
not  you  as  a user, but we as a community). And you have to include
examples. And examples must really fit the board. If you for  example
provide  a  manual entry for the "erase" command you better make sure
that your example does not erase a range of flash that on some  board
happens to hold the U-Boot image. etc.

That's how we came to the DULG we have today. I'm still convinced that
this is a really well-working approach.

It seems you don;t address this issue yet.

> I see several advantages to adopting this scheme.
>  - Documentation should be easier to keep in sync with code

Better than what we have with the DULG? I doubt it.

>  - DocBook XML output can be used to generate webpages, PDFs, text, etc,
>    which are all extensible

We do the same with the DULG.

>  - People don't have to reinvent the wheel when writing documentation

Well, you just did that, it seems ;-)

>  - Source code ends up being thouroughly commented
>
> These patches are just meant to be an example of how in-code documentation
> could be used. You'll also notice there are many warnings regarding variables
> the manual is referencing which aren't defined yet. I wanted to get some
> feedback before diving in too far. What do others think? Is this worth
> pursuing?

Hm... we cannot look at your patches, you just posted the patch
statistics, but no content.

The documentation itself seems to duplicate a lot of content we  have
in  the  DULG.  I  have  to  admit  that I'd prefer to see the effort
invested in improving the existing  manual,  than  to  come  up  with
something different (and, as it seems, less flexible).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a  member  of
Congress. But I repeat myself.                           - Mark Twain