[U-Boot] Saving environment variables in MMC

Nitin Mahajan nitinm76 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 05:43:53 CEST 2010

Thanks Detlev,

--- On Wed, 31/3/10, Detlev Zundel <dzu at denx.de> wrote:

> From: Detlev Zundel <dzu at denx.de>
> Subject: Re: [U-Boot] Saving environment variables in MMC
> To: nitinm76 at yahoo.com
> Cc: "U-Boot user list" <u-boot at lists.denx.de>
> Date: Wednesday, 31 March, 2010, 8:04 PM
> Hi Nitin,
>
> > Thanks for the information. I just wanted to have a
> feedback, whether
> > having a use-case of writing env variables from Linux
> User space is a
> > good idea or is not recommended?
>
> You found tools/env/fw_env.c showing that this
> functionality is indeed
> foreseen and used.
>
> It is rather common to write to the U-Boot environment in
> projects for
> example to switch to a new set of kernel+file system after
> an update
> from within linux for the next boot.

My use case is exactly same, to switch to a new set of kernel+fs after an update for the next boot.

I also have another usecase of updating the env variable 'bootargs' if required in the field. So this use-case combined with fw_env, what is your feedback?

Could you give me some pointers on upgrading u-boot itself, but I don't have a spare partition for that. I would have to replace working copy itself?

I would wanted to have more info(in addition to what I have implemented) regarding the failsafe upgrade mechanisms for embedded-linux apps and kernel? Could you please point me to right forums regarding this. I understand that this is not specific to u-boot, but just give me some pointers.

regards
-Nitin

> Is this feedback enough?
>
> Cheers
>   Detlev
>
> --
> The structure of a system reflects the structure of the
> organization
> that built it.
>

>         -- Richard E. Fairley
> --
> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      MD:
> Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
> HRB 165235 Munich,  Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194
> Groebenzell, Germany
> Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-40 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email:
> dzu at denx.de

      Get your new Email address!
Grab the Email name you&#39;ve always wanted before someone else does!