[U-Boot] U-boot environment redundancy

Nitin Mahajan nitinm76 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 7 03:14:19 CEST 2010

Hello,

I have some query regarding how the u-boot environment redundancy works.

As per my understanding, we need to set the CONFIG_ENV_ADDR_REDUND
and  CONFIG_ENV_SIZE_REDUND macros in the board config file.

The boot loader is supposed to read the both the environments and based on the obsolete/active flag in the environment and CRC check, determine which environment to pick up.
And the logic for reading both environments, determining which one to use goes into the medium specific file, like env_nand.c or env_flash.c.

1. Whether this understanding of mine is correct?

2. Everytime when we do saveenv, how does boot loader determine which range to save the env?

3. The env rotation is automatically by boot loader that is the obsolete/active flag change? The active/ obsolete flag is supposed to be part of the env itself?

4. If I need to implement all this for MMC, do I need to add more logic to the MMC patch
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/71792/match=environment+mmc
submitted in recent past?

regards

-Nitin