[U-Boot] Moving i2c_board_init to after i2c_init operations

Richard Retanubun RichardRetanubun at RuggedCom.com
Fri Apr 9 19:22:46 CEST 2010

Hi Heiko,

I am trying to do something similar to what you did in this commit:

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-i2c.git;a=commit;h=39df00d9aecfb465b9eec9af593f9b763fb5209a

and I have a question, must i2c_board_init for fsl_i2c.c be called before
the actual controller initialization? (i.e. setting the bus speed and the controller's slave address)

if we call it at the end of i2c_init, we can take advantage of the setups done before, no?

Most of the other implementation does it in the beginning because they can change the
i2c pins to GPIO and 'bit-bang' the reset pattern, and then change it back to i2c pins.

The alternative is of course to assume nothing in i2c_board_init, and configure everything
(I kinda liked to use set_i2c_bus_speed, rather than hardcoding something).

Since the kmeter1 board is the only user of i2c_board_init in fsl_i2c.c, would you be
opposed if I submit a patch that moves the call for i2c_board_init to the end of i2c_init?

Or, can I make another 'callpoint' (e.g. i2c_reset_bus) and call that at the end?

Thanks for your time.

- Richard Retanubun