[U-Boot] [STATUS] Heads-up: Reorganize directory structure

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 16 09:41:29 CEST 2010

Dear Graeme Russ,

In message <m2md66caabb1004151942s6ac4f444nac22bdccd128da6f at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> And then there is also
>
> board/
>   $BOARDC
>   $BOARDD
>
> I've never liked code existing on multiple depths like this. Maybe we move
> towards:

But we're just about adding exactly such multi-depth structures to
the CPU directory (see recent discussion about "ARM: reorganize
Cortex directory").

If you don't like this you should raise your voice in that thread.

> board/
>   $VENDOR
>     include/
>     lib/
>     $BOARDA/
>     $BOARDB/
>   $<cpu>_generic/
>     $BOARDC/
>     $BOARDD/

I see not much benefit in artificially distributing the misc boards
into several directories.

> Any code that would otherwise live under $<cpu>_generic/[include, lib]
> should (by definition) be moved to arch/$<cpu>/[include, lib]

That makes even less sense to me. Such could would usually be highly
board specific. [There are of course lots of bad examples, where
generic code gets copied & pasted from one board directory to the next
one and so on, but factoring out such common code is a task that is
orthogonal to this discussion, i. e. it could be done in the existing
directory structure (or any other) as well.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A morsel of genuine history is a  thing  so  rare  as  to  be  always
valuable.                                          - Thomas Jefferson