[U-Boot] Is there a better way?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Apr 20 23:50:47 CEST 2010

Dear Chris Rigg,

In message <k2m7753e5291004201201u401d9a82xa172216f44d6312b at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> My goal:
> I need a way to get the files from the ramdisk on the PPC to the host over
> PCI.

Design an interface. Or use an existing one.

> My solution:
> The best idea I could come up with was to map in the PPC's ramdisk memory on
> the host and then read it like I would a normal ext2 filesystem. For
> example, let's say the ramdisk is 1MB in size. I would simply map in that
> 1MB on the host side over the PCI bus. And then have a ext2 filesystem
> reader tool that can look at the filesystem and extract the log files I
> mentioned earlier. It would be like NFS but over PCI instead of ethernet.

You mean you want to do this while the file system is active, i. e.
while it is being used by the Linux running on the PPC with the
filesystem mounted?

You will run into serious trouble, quickly, as the information in the
ramdisk is most likely inconsistent, incomplete, and changing. Keep in
mind that Linux caches both data and meta-data.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Respect is a rational process
	-- McCoy, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3