[U-Boot] [RFC] PPC: post_word_{load/store} - eliminate redundant code

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 21 15:59:16 CEST 2010

Dear Michael Zaidman,

In message <x2h660c0f821004210624y32636405j7746304a059def4a at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Meanwhile the  post_word_{load/store} are located in the commproc.c
> files for the following architectures:
> mpc8260,
> mpc85xx,
> mpc8xx,
> ppc4xx.
>
> Looking for the way to add POST functionality for the mpc83xx family I
> realized that the post_word_{load/store} can be generalized for all
> ppc architectures.
>
> Could you point please to the file where such kind of things - common
> for all CPU families of particular architecture should be located?

Actually there are two parts to it:

bootcount_store() and bootcount_load() are needed for the boot
counter, a generic feature; I tend to move these into
arch/powerpc/lib/bootcount.c; the code also needs to be rewritten to
use I/O accessors.

post_word_store() and post_word_load() is architecture specific,
common POST code that unfortunately also gets used by the logbuffer
code. This should be split. Then we would have
arch/powerpc/lib/logbuf.c and post/arch/powerpc/post_io.c or such.

Please also note that there are more files implementing such code -
see for example here:

	board/cm5200/cm5200.c
	board/bf537-stamp/post.c
	board/barco/barco.c
	board/bc3450/bc3450.c
	board/ssv/common/post.c
	board/tqc/tqm5200/tqm5200.c
	board/xes/xpedite1000/xpedite1000.c

Thanks.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Without facts, the decision cannot be made logically. You  must  rely
on your human intuition.
	-- Spock, "Assignment: Earth", stardate unknown