[U-Boot] at91rm9200ek NOR booting is broken

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Wed Dec 1 18:07:51 CET 2010

Note: pwclient dies on patch 73644 with the following

albert at lilith:~/src/u-boot$ pwclient apply 73644
Applying patch #73644 to current directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/albert/bin/pwclient", line 463, in <module>
     main()
   File "/home/albert/bin/pwclient", line 446, in main
     action_apply(rpc, patch_id)
   File "/home/albert/bin/pwclient", line 263, in action_apply
     proc.communicate(s)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 680, in communicate
     self.stdin.write(input)
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xdf' in
position 605: ordinal not in range(128)

I'd wager it does not like Andreas' last name.

Le 01/12/2010 16:13, Andreas Bießmann a écrit :
> Dear Albert ARIBAUD,
>
> Am 01.12.2010 13:49, schrieb Albert ARIBAUD:
>> thanks Andreas,
>>

>> What is the exact symptom? does the board display anything on its
>> console, or does it stay completely silent?
>
> I see the banner and 'DRAM: 32 MiB' on serial console. If I activate
> DEBUG in a/a/l/board.c I can see the debug messages up to 'relocation
> Offset is ...'

Thanks.

The size of u-boot.bin is right for sections .text to .dynsym inclusive
as listed by readelf -a.

The content of the binary u-boot.bin correctly reflects the .rel.dyn and
.dynsym sections of the ELF u-boot file.

_rel_dyn_start_ofs, _rel_dyn_end_ofs and _dynsym_start_ofs> all contain
correct offsets to their respective targets.

This means that if the u-boot.bin is correctly flashed to NOR, and if
nothing touches the .rel.dyn and .dynsym section, relocation is done
correctly.

But... with your fixes applied above v2010.12-rc2, as you indicated, you
don't have the fix for not using r8 during relocation, which means GD is
completely bogus after relocation. Can you apply this fix too?

> regards
>
> Andreas Bießmann

Amicalement,
--