[U-Boot] Best methodology for establishing memory timing parameters

Brent Bartson BBartson at xembedded.com
Fri Dec 3 21:27:57 CET 2010

Hello,

I'm just getting started on targeting an MPC8641D design with Uboot. On our board design the memory is soldered-down so there's no SPD to read from. I'm using a BDI3000 and just trying to establish a valid 'config' file that initializes the processor and memory. The BDI3000 comes with a template config file for the mpc8641 so I'm naturally starting with that. However, it's rather painful to peruse the DDR data sheets and infer from their description what the proper values are for various memory-related config values for the mpc8641 processor (such as TIMING_CFG_0, DDR_SDRAM_IVAL, etc).

What I'm wondering is if there is a quicker way to establish the proper memory params for the BDI3000 config and ultimately uboot. I have a listing of all the SPD params from the DDR manufacturer. Is there some place within the Uboot source code where I can plug-in all these values directly (into an array or struct) and just boot Uboot from flash and have it initialize the memory from that information... or do I just have to man-up and do it the hard way;)

Thanks,
Brent
bbartson at xembedded.com<mailto:bbartson at xembedded.com>