[U-Boot] [RFC 0/3] Enhance env tools

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Dec 4 21:35:20 CET 2010

Dear Steve Sakoman,

In message <1291436933-26861-1-git-send-email-steve at sakoman.com> you wrote:

> There are circustances where it is desirable to run the environment tools
> on your build machine in order to create an environment image that can
> be written to the target machine at a later time.

I wonder what those circumstances might be.

I mean, I know what you have in mind, and the approach may have made
sense with the old environment code.

But can you please explain why any of this is needed with the new
code, which can easily import and export environment settings in
several formats?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is granted only to those
who are prepared.                                     - Louis Pasteur