[U-Boot] compile errors with gcc-4.5.1 on OXC and RMU boards

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Dec 13 17:15:45 CET 2010

Dear Kumar Gala,

In message <E7F59234-4A15-4B96-B2FB-0FB3EEDC58A5 at kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:

> > Or has the rule officially been dropped that the "#if" in the C
> > prepro use the same shortcut logic as the "if" in C?
>
> I'm being told that not reporting this as an error is a bug in previous
> gcc's not the new one.  There isn't anything in the C specs about early
> out handling from what I can tell.

But there is nothing in the specs that states that always all
conditions need to be evaluated or at least checked if they can be
evaluated reasonably.  To me, the new behaviour makes no sense -
neither logically not performance-wise.

I am aware that common sense and gcc behaviour is not always in the
same pot, but I consider this to be a change to the worse.

Can you point to some commit / bugzilla entry / posting that contains
an explanation or rationale for this change?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid"  -  the  artificial  person,
from _Aliens_