[U-Boot] u-boot hang after we changed the flash chip

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Dec 14 00:11:38 CET 2010

Dear raymond zhao,

In message <AANLkTik9PHqAAvvE1fpGVMh5EYVBb=LitaxA2dG7Y_SA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I have a AMCC PowerPC 405EX based board. The u-boot version is U-Boot
> 1.3.2-RELEASE_11. It works fine until we have to change the NOR-Flash chip

There has never been any such release.  There was v1.3.2, followed by
v1.3.3. Note that these are more than 2.5 years old, so I strongly
recommend to update to current code instead.

> static int init_func_i2c (void)
> {
>     puts ("I2C:   ");
>     i2c_init (CFG_I2C_SPEED, CFG_I2C_SLAVE);
>     puts ("ready\n");
>     return (0);
> }
> In debug console: I actually see the out put I2C: . The codes fly away
> inside i2c_init (CFG_I2C_SPEED, CFG_I2C_SLAVE); and never come back to
> put("ready\n");

This does not really look like a flash related issue to me.

> Another interesting thing is when I am in function init_func_i2c, I used bt
> full in GDB to check the stack. I get the following:
> (gdb) bt full
> #0  <signal handler called>
> No locals.
> #1  0x00000000 in ?? ()
> No symbol table info available.
> #2  0x00000000 in ?? ()
> No symbol table info available.
> Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)

Neither does this.

> Does this mean the stack is corrupted? There should have a stack already in
> this moment, right?
>

> Does anyone has any idea which direction I should go?

Check your voltages, as close to the flash chips as possible.  The new
ones may draw higher currents (especially higher and steeper peaks).
If your voltages are not clean you may see data corruption, which
would explain the effects you describe (and a lot more).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
On the subject of C program indentation: "In My Egotistical  Opinion,
most  people's  C  programs  should be indented six feet downward and
covered with dirt."                               - Blair P. Houghton