[U-Boot] compile errors with gcc-4.5.1 on OXC and RMU boards

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Dec 14 12:14:10 CET 2010

Dear Nathan Sidwell,

In message <4D0718D5.2050307 at codesourcery.com> you wrote:

> >> It is required by the C and C++ standards.
> >
> > Could you please provide a link?  Not that I don't believe you, but
> > I'd like to understand the rationale, if there is any.
>
> C std 6.10.1 para 2

Hm... which exact part requires this behaviour?  Please quote, to make
sure we're accessing the same text.

I'm asking because the "Rationale" has the following part
(see http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/rat/c8.html#3-8-1) :

    ... "
    Processing of skipped material is defined such that an
    implementation need only examine a logical line for the # and
    then for a directive name. Thus, assuming that xxx is undefined,
    in this example:

        # ifndef xxx
        # define xxx "abc"
        # elif xxx > 0
            /* ... */
        # endif

    an implementation is not required to diagnose an error for the
    elif statement, even though if it were processed, a syntactic
    error would be detected.
    " ...

To me this looks like the situation we have here?

I understand that "is not required" still permits such behaviour,
but you say it is _required_ which is yet another thing.

Thanks.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Either one of us, by himself, is expendable.  Both of us are not.
	-- Kirk, "The Devil in the Dark", stardate 3196.1