[U-Boot] [ANNOUNCE] Public x-loader git tree

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Dec 16 21:38:59 CET 2010

Dear Anand,

In message <AANLkTinHGBBJ_MO=bk2wcHjwMNuti62UACJYNaBenf3j at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> To this end, we have set up an x-loader git tree on gitorious, and
> seeded it with Steve Sakoman's x-loader tree [1] as of 15 December
> 2010. (Thanks Steve for unifying so much of the forked code, and
> getting rid of the dependency on u-boot, and more!).
> Deva and I have volunteered to maintain the x-loader code - everyone
> is welcome to contribute and help make it better.
> (This is our first attempt at maintaining a software project - so any
> help is appreciated).

May I ask what your goal is for such a project?

You mentioned that x-loader was derived from U-Boot, and shares some
code.  What is the benefit from maintaining it as a separate project?

You write "getting rid of the dependency on u-boot", and try to make
this sound as an advantage.  Is this really the case? Or did you just
cut off your feed from upstream?

Would it not make more sense to merge it into the U-Boot tree, so it
gets maintained as one project, and code is automatically kept in
sync?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The one charm of marriage is that it makes a  life  of  deception  a
neccessity."                                            - Oscar Wilde