[U-Boot] {Spam?} u-boot relocation

Marcel korgull at home.nl
Sun Dec 26 20:05:12 CET 2010

On Sunday, December 26, 2010 02:38:04 pm Reinhard Meyer wrote:
> Dear Marcel,
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I updated my u-boot-usb to continue my work on the SAM9 USB parts, but
> > got stuck with the following issue :
> >
> > There seems to be a new relocation scheme. I also added some stuff to
> > make it detect the SDRAM, but than I get stuck.
> >
> >   int dram_init(void)
> >
> > {
> >
> >          gd->bd->bi_dram[0].start = PHYS_SDRAM;
> >          gd->bd->bi_dram[0].size = PHYS_SDRAM_SIZE;
>
> This is accessing bss before relocation. BSS does not exist then.

At what point bss does exist ?
Forgive me for not having a clue on this. I started working on u-boot to make
USB working a while ago. I almost had that working but unfortunately had to go
away for a while for business. Now that I can continue I usually first update
to keep up with the latest things, but this is not always easy if things break
completely.

> >          /* dram_init must store complete ramsize in gd->ram_size */
> >          gd->ram_size = get_ram_size((volatile void *)PHYS_SDRAM,
> >
> > PHYS_SDRAM_SIZE);
> >
> >          dram_init_banksize();
>
> This function, if defined, is called automagically. Normally, with single
> DRAM bank AT91SAM9 designs the default weak function provided by u-boot is
> sufficient:
> void __dram_init_banksize(void)
> {
> 	gd->bd->bi_dram[0].start = CONFIG_SYS_SDRAM_BASE;
> 	gd->bd->bi_dram[0].size =  gd->ram_size;
> }
> void dram_init_banksize(void)
> 	__attribute__((weak, alias("__dram_init_banksize")));
>
> Don't define this function in your board file!!!

I got rid of the call in my board file.

> >          return 0;
> >
> > }
>
> Please have a look at the emk/top9000 board for what is needed:
>
> int dram_init(void)
> {
> 	gd->ram_size = get_ram_size(
> 		(void *)CONFIG_SYS_SDRAM_BASE,
> 		CONFIG_SYS_SDRAM_SIZE);
> 	return 0;
> }
>
> /* NO dram_init_banksize() !!! */
>
> Note also that the defines have changed to have a CONFIG_SYS_ prefix.
> Change your board definition accordingly.
>
> Best Regards,
> Reinhard

I currently only have this :
int dram_init(void)
{
	gd->ram_size = get_ram_size(
		(void *)CONFIG_SYS_SDRAM_BASE,
		CONFIG_SYS_SDRAM_SIZE);
	return 0;
}

I defined CONFIG_SYS_SDRAM_BASE and CONFIG_SYS_SDRAM_SIZE but I gave them the
same address and size as my previous PHYS_SDRAM and PHYS_SDRAM_SIZE.

It doesn't change anything so far, so I must have missed some things I guess.
I'll continue reading and hope I find something. I do however feel  like I'm
wasting my time on this one.

Thanks for your reply,
Marcel