[U-Boot] Regarding the config.mk in U-boot TOP directory

Asokan, Shyama Trikkadeeri Shyama.Asokan at Honeywell.com
Fri Dec 31 05:18:39 CET 2010

Thanks Vaibhav! I will check this out.
Regards,
Shyama.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bedia, Vaibhav [mailto:vaibhav.bedia at ti.com]
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2010 9:43 AM
To: Asokan, Shyama Trikkadeeri; U-Boot at lists.denx.de
Subject: RE: [U-Boot] Regarding the config.mk in U-boot TOP directory

On Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:51 PM, Asokan, Shyama Trikkadeeri
wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
> I have been facing an issue while building u-boot for AT91SAM9263ek
> board. The environment I am using is CYGWIN and toolchain is the
> Code sourcery toolchain.
>

> The make configuration step works fine while "make CROSS_COMPILE "
> step throws the following error:
> make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-
> Generating include/autoconf.mk
> include/common.h:37: fatal error: config.h: No such file or
> directory compilation terminated.
> Generating include/autoconf.mk.dep
> include/common.h:37: fatal error: config.h: No such file or
> directory compilation terminated.
> make: *** [include/autoconf.mk.dep] Error 1 While going through the
> files in u-boot I made the following
> observations:

[...]

I had similar issues some time back but the build environment was not
Cygwin.

I was working on adding support for a board on one GIT branch and after
building an image (without a distclean) shifted to another branch which
didn't have the board support added.

Compiling u-boot for a different board on the second branch threw up
errors like you mentioned. Even distclean didn't help. This was probably
due to the auto-generated files depending on a board config which wasn't
in the branch I was working on.

I was able to finally get things working by manually deleting
include/config.h, include/config.mk, include/autoconf.mk and
include/autoconf.mk.dep

A couple of more instances where I got the errors was when during the
course of development directory structure/config filename had to be
changed but remnants of a build with old directory structure/config file
were present. Again manually deleting the files mentioned above got
things working.

Deleting the files manually may not be correct way of fixing this issue
but I thought it might help if you are stuck.

Regards,
Vaibhav