[U-Boot] end-user firmware upgrade

Marcel korgull at home.nl
Mon Feb 1 21:59:29 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm using u-boot for a while now for my AVR (ap7000) project and while happy
with it as a developer tool I wonder how I can make it useful for end-user
firmware upgrades.

The way I think about it is that end-user can never be allowed to interact
directly with u-boot.  It's something I don't want and the users of my devices
also. Unfortunately I can't find anything yet to how I can make it easy for my
end-users to upgrade firmware of the device.

I have only ethernet and USB available to end-users :

1) Using USB : This is easy for end-users because it doesn't depend on network
configuration. Unfortunately there's no USB support in u-boot (at least not for
my CPU). I found something at openmoko which may be suitable, but no other
valid solutions so far.

2) Ethernet : No idea how to do this in an easy way. If it can be done, I'd be
happy to hear about it.

Either way, I have no clue if there are any options in u-boot available
already to do what I want or must I implement this from scratch ?

Best regards,
Marcel