[U-Boot] Standalone application compilation

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Mon Feb 8 17:31:23 CET 2010

Hi Salvatore,

> Hi everyone. I'm writing because I have a problem. I'm running u-boot on an
> mpc8641 ad I'd like to compile a custom application to make it running on
> top of u-boot and I'm unable to compile it. Suppose I want to compile a
> simple hello_world application just like this:
>
> int main(int argc, char *arghv[]) {
>     printf("Hello world!");
>     return 0;
> }
>
> I'd like to write a Makefile to compile and run the application but I always
> get a lot of warning and error messages.
>
> So I tried to modify the hello_world application contained into the examples
> directory. I don't want to compile it making it together with u-boot. I want
> the compilation processes of u-boot and the application to be separated.
> Using gcc unfortunately I run into a lot of warnings and error messages.
>
> Someone could help me?

Why don't you help yourself?  Configure and compile U-Boot for your
platform, then do a "touch examples/standalone/hello_world.c", do a
"make" again and study what commands are being generated.  This is what
you will need to rebuild in your own makefile.

If you do this however, you may notice that it is not very trivial to
separate your application from U-Boot, as you will need the libstubs.a
and the header files.  Maybe you would be better off to use what is
available and simply add another target to the makefile in the
standalone directory.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Once the  implementation is  up and running,  it is still a trick to keep it
running.  In a normal,  closed implementation,  this is not a problem;  in a