[U-Boot] SMSC LAN8720 support

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 21:59:03 CET 2010

Hi Maxim,

Two housekeeping items:
1. Please don't top-post
2. Please CC the mailing list.  There are others that may be able to
help you.

On 2/9/2010 12:11 PM, Maxim Podbereznyi wrote:
> Hi Ben!
>
> Thank you for answering!
>
> Unfortunately I don't have any other board to check the Ethernet. I
> began to check sources and found that PHY ID is not read well.
>
> In the following code I have "No PHY present" on the console:
> /* Check if the PHY is up to snuff... */
>          phy_id = macb_mdio_read(macb, MII_PHYSID1);
>          if (phy_id == 0xffff) {
>                  printf("%s: No PHY present\n", netdev->name);
>                  return 0;
>          }
> }
>
> I think at least ID must be read well. Bad luck :(

Are you passing the correct PHY address as parameter 3 to
macb_eth_initialize()?  You should know the address from the board
schematic.  Alternatively, it appears that MACB has an option called
CONFIG_MACB_SEARCH_PHY that will probe the MDIO bus.  You might wish to
enable that option.

The MII_PHYSID1 is an IEEE 802.3-specified register.  If you can't read
it, it's not anything peculiar to the new type of PHY, but more likely a
hardware/bootstrap issue.   Any incompatibilities with this PHY will
come later when you try to configure some of the less-standard things
such as RGMII etc.

regards,
Ben